Last Sunday we had a family dinner with Matt's family. Matt's brother just got back from officer training for the Air Force, and him and his family moved about 3 days later. So we all got together and had some fun. But my very favorite part was what the kids kept saying to me. They have 3 kids, Andrew 6, Emma 3, Olivia 15months (I think those are the ages -forgive me Becky if I am wrong). Anyway, I was in the other room with Andrew, Emma, and Lucas, watching The Jungle Book. Now, I need to preface this story by saying, Andrew never talks to me, I think I scare him. But he was totally not afraid on this day. :) Andrew looks at me, with this pondering expression, then looks at my tummy (since it is gigantic at the moment), and said "you have a big belly" I replied, "Yes I do." The conversation then proceeded like this"
Andrew: It is even bigger than Balloo (the bear on Jungle Book)
Me: Oh....thanks.
Andrew: It is even bigger than mine. Look when I stand, my tummy is flat, but when I sit it goes almost to my private.
Me: (well I couldn't say much, I just laughed)
Through out the movie Andrew kept making comments about how big I am, and how I am going to have a baby. Then Emma decided to join in the fun. So she asked "Do you have baby?" I said yes. And then she asked asked if she could touch my tummy, I said yes, then she asked if she could see the baby, as she is asking she is reaching for my shirt to pull it up. I had to explain to her the baby is in my tummy, and we can't see it yet. It made me laugh, especially since I have had that very same conversation with two other three year olds. All of them asking to touch, and then if they can see the baby, and yes all of them were about to expose my whole tummy. Now it is Luke's turn. I doubt Lucas understands what is going on. He sometimes acts like it; whenever we see a baby, he gets confused and touches my tummy and says "baby sister". It is almost like he is trying to figure out if the baby is still in my tummy. There are random times where he will come up and hold my tummy and say "baby sister", like he is hugging her or something. It is quite sweet....until he wants to lift up my shirt to see baby. We were at out side the other day, and he came up to me and started pulling my shirt, this time it was down, not up. I stopped him and he was very upset, saying he wanted to see baby sister. I told him my tummy is right here. His response, "no, I want the other tummy." Again I was left speechless, how do you explain to your two year 'that' is not a tummy? I tried to tell him where my tummy is again, and then I just distracted him. This has happened 3-4 more times. I am trying to figure out a new way to explain it to him. I know this is a little too detailed for some, but I needed a pick me up moment so I decided to write about these, since they make me laugh! Right now my kid is driving me crazy, he has been crying all day, and has been in his room for over an hour and still hasn't fallen asleep. I am very frustrated, so I decided this would make me happy. I hope it cheered someone else up too. :) (Joel and Becky, I am sorry to use your kids for this post, but their comments were too funny to pass up).
Friday, April 16, 2010
Kids say the darn-dist things
Posted by Andreason at 2:04 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Wow. My kids sound horrible. What kind of mother am I? But yes, they do say some pretty funny things and the ages were almost right. They're 5, 3, and 18 mos. Super, super close though. :) I'm glad they made you laugh, that ought to count for something right? By the way, your previous post about Lucas being a clean freak, that is soooo Andrew! He used to be the same way, he's getting a bit better, but he used to not eat anything remotely messy, no cupcakes, ice cream, frosted covered cookies and he'd freak out if he got anything on him. Funny kids.
oh that is tooooo funny! this post brightened up my day! Thanks
Post a Comment